will deet hurt my baby?

Dr. Russell Faust
Dr. Russell Faustanswered
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 29 years experience
Yes: Deet (n, n-diethyl-m-toluamide), the common insect repellent, is promptly absorbed through the skin. There have been several reported cases of toxic encephalopathy (brain toxicity) in children from deet exposure.
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
Specializes in Pediatrics
Yes: Deet particularly at higher concentrations can be toxic to infants and young children if put directly on the skin. Deet may be sprayed on the clothes, but the best advise is prevention: keep the baby inside during the hours of dawn and dusk and cover the baby as to avoid contact with shrub and grasses in oder to avoid tick bites.
Dr. Thomas Heston
Risks: It all depends upon concentration. Low concentration (10% or less) for infants 2 months of age or older appears to be safe (http://goo.Gl/gr5mm) . In the U.S. Repellent products must stage any age restriction. Other insect repellents aren't necessarily safer. Prevention of insect bites is very important. A good discussion on this can be found on the cdc website at: http://goo.Gl/yrnm6.