there are swollen gums where my wisdom teeth are. why is it and how do i reduce the swelling?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Erupting or ?: You may or may not have enough room for your wisdom teeth to erupt. You may have swollen gums from the normal eruption of your wisdom teeth, or an infection, pericoronitis (inflammation) or food impaction. See a dentist to determine the cause and advice as what to do. Take some otc pain medication and rinse with salt water in the meantime.
Dr. Maryam Chiani
Dentistry 29 years experience
Wisdom teeth: Sometimes as the wisdom teeth erupt, the gingival tissue swells up and at times it gets infected. It would be a good idea to check with your dentist.