what can i do if my mom has stage 4 liver cancer shes 72 years old. she start treatment next week.what is the survival rate?

Dr. Stephen Noga
Medical Oncology 34 years experience
Difficult to say: If this is liver cancer and not another cancer that has spread to the liver, it is not operable at this point which would be the only way to cure the disease. Liver transplants have been used in this case but again not in stage IV cancer. The survival rate will depend on how well the patient responds to the therapy. Some of the new drugs have improved survival significantly.
Dr. Della Howell
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology 23 years experience
It depends: Without knowing what type of liver cancer it is, it is difficult to give an accurate survival rate. Unfortunately, in general, stage 4 describes advanced disease with typically low survival rates, but there are always exceptions to the rule. Any underlying health conditions that your mother has may affect her survival rate as well.