moderate amount of stool in colon and mild ileus. what is the best and fastest way to relieve all this backup of stool and gas? what should i avoid?

Dr. John Fung
General Surgery 39 years experience
Depends on the cause: Ileus means that there is loss of the normal propulsive ability of the gastrointestinal tract - it can be mild or severe, depending on the cause. Many post-op ileus is caused by narcotics taken for pain control. This is often manifest as constipation. The treatment for this is walking, reducing narcotic intake, drinking enough water and on occasion, taking a laxative.