U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A member asked:

My husband had gallbladder surgery 2 months ago and now he has a huge lump under the scar he had to have the more invasive surgery about a 7 in scare ?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Tracy Berg
General Surgery 33 years experience
Incisional hernia: Occasionally a hernia will develop at the site of a surgical scar. These are called incisional/ventral hernias. A seroma under the skin is also a possibility. Okay to check with your doc for diagnosis. An ultrasound of the abdominal wall should make the diagnosis. Despite the set back, there are therapies for his problem. Absent a fever, or vomiting, he can be evaluated as an outpatient.
Dr. Steven Davis
Plastic Surgery 35 years experience
Scar or hernia?: He should definitely be seen by his surgeon .... If the surgery was that recent the scar either is healing poorly... Like a keloid or the scar deep is separating .... A weakened scar.... Or hernia.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Dec 9, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.