U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Elk Grove, CA
A 36-year-old female asked:

Had a bad ingrown nail on my big toe, got a pedi.. now my big toe is swelling, painful, and i think i have pus coming out from were the skin. pls help?

2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jeffrey Ng
Family Medicine 33 years experience
Go see your doc: You have a paranychia. You need to have this fixed, but first you need to be started on antibiotics first to reduce infection and inflammation. Usually it is Keflex and you take it one week prior to getting your nail fixed. So go see your doctor!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Tania Turbay
Podiatry 22 years experience
Paronychia: You need to see a podiatrist and have the ingrown nail removed. As long as the nail is impinging on the skin the infection will persist. Antibiotics alone will not work. You need a procedure called a partial nail avulsion. The procedure consists of removing the ingrown nail all the way to the matrix (where the nail is produced) and allowing the nail to grow back correctly.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Apr 1, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.