PA

I am 45 yr old female. i have had my period for 12 days with 2 migraines .i have the mirena (levonorgestrel). blood work shows no menopause.. thyroid fine..help!

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Schedule follow up : Schedule a visit for an iud check. They need to make sure it is still in the proper location. You can also discuss other methods for cycle control. Ask about an endometrial ablation.
Dr. Paula Hillard
Patience: It sounds as if the Mirena (levonorgestrel) was just placed? In the first ~2-3 months the hormone levels are a little higher than they will be. After 3 months, levels are lower and side effects less frequent. I'd encourage you to treat the migraines, be patient with the bleeding ( it will get better, and at the end of 1 year 20-60% of women are no longer having periods).

Last updated Nov 2, 2015