Cambodia

i'm male have age 40 year old, to maintain blood pressure , do i can use medicine aspirin 80 mg everyday ? good or bad ?

Dr. M. Jan
Dr. M. Jananswered
Good: Aspirin 81 mg daily is recommende to protect heart.

What are the optimal blood glucose levels for pregnant women with gestational diabetes?

Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Specializes in Gynecology
Low!: Less than 95 fasting, and less than 120 2 hours after meals. (some are a little more liberal with fastings, allowing less than 105). Gestational diabetic are less likely to have problems with fasting sugars as they are with postprandial (after meals) sugars.

What is the difference between aspirin, tylenol, (acetaminophen) and ibuprofen?

Dr. Amy Herold
Effect on baby: Aspirin and Ibuprofen are related anti-inflammatory pain medicines. They should be avoided in pregnancy, especially in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters because they can close an important valve in the baby's heart. This valve normally closes at the time of birth which is why they can be taken post-partum. Tylenol (acetaminophen) is a pain reliever that does not have this effect on the baby and is safe in pregnancy.

Which test is more telling for kidney issues in pregnancy: blood work or urine test for protein?

Dr. Richard Godt
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Both: Toxemia of pregnancy may be revealed by protein in the urine along with other signs and symptoms such as elevated blood pressure, significant edema, blurred vision, abdominal pain. Blood work assists in the diagnosis and prognosis.

Why do females have urinary tract infections (utis) more often than men?

Dr. George Valdez
Specializes in Family Medicine
Length of urethra: Females have shorter distance for bacteria to travel to get into bladder and start colonizing.
Bonham, TX

I have blood in my urine that is very visible so I went to ER and they said I had a UTI but my left kidney has me in very uncomfortable pain. Is this symptoms from a uti?

Dr. Stephen Sudler
Yes, upper: The kidney is the upper end of the urinary tract, so an infection here or pyelonephritis is a form of uti, urinary tract infection. Kidney stones can also present this way. A pyelonephritis may require intravenous antibiotics to cure.

Last updated Jun 24, 2014