U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Crofton, KY
A 42-year-old female asked:

Iv had a right knee replacement for 10 yrs. how do i know when it's wore out? the back of my knee sticks out far as well.

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bertrand Kaper
Orthopedic Reconstructive Surgery 30 years experience
Get an xray: Wear and tear on a total knee replacement will typically present with clinical symptoms of pain and swelling. Xrays of the knee will show any possible concerns of wear. I would recommend an orthopaedic consult with a surgeon specializing in knee replacement surgery.
Dr. Scott m Smith
Orthopedic Reconstructive Surgery 42 years experience
Dr exam & xray: An xray will show wear of your replacement. The bulge in the back of your knee could be loose liigaments or knee swelling. A careful examination would clarify the cause. Sometimes ligament loosening can be caused by wear.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated May 8, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.