How do i know if i tore my acl?

Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Sports Medicine 15 years experience
Get examined: The best and most reliable way to know is to have your knee examined by a sports medicine doctor.
Dr. Scott Graham
Orthopedic Surgery 26 years experience
A good exam then MRI: Although most people think a MRI is necessary to diagnose a torn acl, most knee specialists can tell from a couple of simple test that can be done. With a high suspicion, a MRI is often then ordered and used then to confirm the findings of the exam. My suggestion for you is to see a md who is well trained and experianced in acl's and even revision surgery. Get their opinion.
Dr. Vinay Pampati
Orthopedic Surgery 17 years experience
Instability : Acl tears usually cause significant swelling, pain, and feelings of instability ...go see your doctor for evaluation and possible mri
Dr. Gregory Krivchenia
Orthopedic Surgery 40 years experience
History and physical: Would recommend an orthopaedic history and physical to see if further workup including and MRI to make the definitive diagnosis. For an ACL tear, one most often has a significant injury to the knee with an immediate filling of the joint with blood. Chronic symptoms of ACL tear are giving way of the knee and a persistent effusion.