Plano, TX

Waiting on 4 units dental porcelain h noble bridge to be made. should you have a space between the 2 false teeth and the gum so you can floss or not?

Dr. John Comisi
Dentistry 39 years experience
Preference: My patients always receive fixed dental prosthetic devices with the abilty to floss and clean under and between the teeth. Food has a tendency to collect everywhere when you eat, and especially around dental bridges. I believe leaving space to clean is better for my patients.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. James Donley
Dentistry 55 years experience
No: The false teeth should lightly touch the gum tissue. There should be a space next to the crowned teeth, where a floss threader can be placed to pull floss under the false teeth. Floss will easily pass thru between the gum and false teeth.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 55 years experience
Different opinions: Personally, I do not believe there is a right or wrong way to design false teeth as part of permanent bridge. Some dentists prefer larger spaces between and under these pontics to allow for easier cleaning (although food does collect more there), while other dentists (as i) prefer minimum spaces, just enough to use floss between and under these pontics. You can\should discuss your preference.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 55 years experience
Provided original answer
this issue as soon as possible with your own dentist, prior to its final cementation.
Jan 8, 2013
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 42 years experience
Depends: If the area is the front top teeth, then we like to contact the tissue for esthetics and speech. You are still able to floss, unless "ovate" pontic form is used. If the back teeth, less important to contact tissue. Many styles from far off the tissue to just contacting the edge, to heavy contact. Space for materials is also a factor as you need bulk for strength. Discuss with your dentist.
Last updated Dec 9, 2013