How will my relationship with my husband change with a new baby?

Dr. Julia Sundel
Less time: This will be an exciting yet stressful time for you guys.You won't have as much time for your husband since you will have a new little person to take care of. You will be sleeping less and perhaps more irritable. It's ok. Take a break and try to find a few minutes a day to connect with your spouse. Congrats on the new addition!
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Specializes in Pediatrics
You are parents: Children do change everything. You are no longer single, and no longer a couple. You are a family. A new baby requires adjusting. Initially there is less time for each other. Make a conscious effort to talk, share, spend a few moments quality time together every day. A new baby can bring you closer even through the stress and changes.
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Stronger connection: Kids enrich your life but do present a strong challenge. They will bring you closer if you keep one thing in mind. Put the marriage first and not the kids in front of the marriage. Without a strong marriage the kids can't be as happy as they can be. Make time, keep connected physically, get away and love each other. The kids' happiness will follow!
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
Specializes in Pediatrics
Life B.C. and A.C.: There are two separate lives; before children and after children. Life before children centers around the two of you. After the birth your lives center around junior. Prepare to make accommodations for the baby's needs but try to make some personal time for the two of you to further your relationship.
Dr. Salil Gupta
Life transforming: Having a new baby is very exciting and happy event in most marriages. But it is a transforming event in marriages and life will never be same as before! the time commitment, roles and routines all will be changed and fun as well as stress level goes high. Preparation and understanding of these changes are crucial to enjoy the baby and effectively deal with the stress associated with this event.
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
That's up to you two: You can look at the child as a common responsibility and let it bring you closer together as you help each other through the difficulties, much as military service can make people friends for life. Or you can find one of the many ways ("not my job", "baby loves me more", "you don't know what i'm going through") that a baby can pull you apart. The relationship will be what you make of it.
Pathology 44 years experience
This is wise and good advice.
Dec 27, 2014