U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 34-year-old member asked:

do i have to wear bras if i have gotten breast implants?

5 doctor answers10 doctors weighed in
Dr. Frederick Coville
Plastic Surgery 39 years experience
No: Although depending on your surgeon's preferences, you may be asked to wear a specifice type of bra during your early post-op period. I encourage my patients to go braless, very early on as it helps the implants settle into a natural position and it also helps in the necessary "bonding" with your new implants. The sooner you stop babying them, the sooner you will feel comfortable with them. Be well.
Dr. Otto Placik
Plastic Surgery 34 years experience
Depends: size & surg: This really will depend on the size of your implants and position ( under or over) as well as pre-existing conditions such as recurrent capsular contracture oruneven folds ( infra mammary sulcus dystopia) or congenital conditions such as tuberous or constricted breasts or precursor carintum ( pigeon chest). Although the vast majority of women going from an a to a c cup will not have to wear a bra, .
Dr. Joseph Mele
Plastic Surgery 32 years experience
Have to?: No one has to wear a bra; however, especially with larger implants, it makes sense to offer some support to your implants. The skin is an amazing organ, but big implants can be more than the skin can manage. In your case, i don't know. Best to ask your plastic surgeon about the pro's and con's.
Dr. Tom Pousti
Specializes in Plastic Surgery
No: Not necessarily. On the contrary, many patients undergo breast augmentation surgery so that they can enjoy outfits without having to wear a bra to “pushup" their breasts.
Dr. John Walker
Plastic Surgery 26 years experience
Yes: Your breasts will be heavier after implantation, they will sag sooner if you do not wear a bra. I furthermore advise patients to wear a soft sports bra at night.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A 35-year-old member asked:

Just started birth control again. There is clearish fluid discharging from breasts. What could it be?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Family Medicine 23 years experience
Probably nothing: Birth control pills are known to cause hormonal resets in a woman's body. Breast is hormone regulated organ, so that is no surprise you are reacting the way you are. Chances are with the next cycle you may not have any, although, i did have patients who were lactating all along. In that case, i'd check prolactin level and rule out other causes for lactation.
A 38-year-old member asked:

What can be done to treat acne on the face, chest, and shoulders?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology 32 years experience
Acne Therapy: Acne treatments work by reducing oil production, speeding up skin cell turnover, fighting bacterial infection, reducing the inflammation or doing all four. With most prescription acne treatments, you may not see results for four to eight weeks, and your skin may get worse before it gets better. There are topicals like ziana and epiduo and oral medication like solodyn (minocycline). See your dermatologist.
A 45-year-old member asked:

What are the health differences between bottle feeding and breast feeding?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Scott Welker
General Surgery 27 years experience
Breast fed is best: For many many reasons! www.Lalecheleague.Org/nb/nbbenefits.Html has a great explanation. On the other hand bottle feeding is ok and you shouldn't fee lguilty if you are unable to breast feed.
A 46-year-old member asked:

How can I avoid putting pressure on my arm and prevent breast lymphedema?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. James Isobe
Phlebology 54 years experience
General care: Lymphedema of the arm is seen following breast procedures (axillary dissection, radiation), and avoiding putting pressure on the arm doesn't prevent the swelling. Avoid scratches, injury of the arm that can result in infection and further damage of the lymphatics. Seek help of a lymphedema trained physical therapist for specific advice.
A 48-year-old male asked:

I have started feeling growth under my right nipple for the last one and half year when toucvhed it pains sharpely. There is no oain wothout touching

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Nicholas Martin
Family Medicine 49 years experience
MALE OR FEMALE ?: Males can convert testosterone to estrogen, especially if they have stored fat.This estrogen can stimulate the male breast to hypertrophy state with pain. Females can have blocked ducts, cysts, tumors and over stimulation with especially during puberty.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Aug 5, 2018

People also asked

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.