i was diagnosed with pneumonia on thursday. i am on antibiotics and my cough is much better.my chest still hurts when i move or cough. is this normal?

Dr. David Wishnew
Wound care 42 years experience
Chest pain: In an illness where there is a lot of coughing, the muscles between the ribs (intercostal muscles) often get strained. It is due to the sharp, forceful contractions necessary to produce a cough. These muscles then hurt with movement, more coughing, and sometimes even just by touching. As the cough subsides, this pain will gradually go away. See your dr for advice about using pain medications.

Last updated Feb 27, 2014