Ankle pain from arthroscopy procedure. what to do?

10 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Andrew DeGruccio answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

Ice and elevate: For 2 weeks after ankle scopes, rest, ice and elevation helps control pain better than anything else. Use crutches, and put no weight on the ankle. Range of motion exercises while elevating the leg can reduce aching from stiffness. After 2 weeks, crutches usually should be discontinued and then slowly advance weight-bearing activities. Continue anti-inflammatory medicines if you have them.

Answered 8/19/2018

5.4k views

Dr. Eric Bluman answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery

Follow-up visit: See the provider who did your arthroscopy to see if there is anything wrong or whether you are just have ing normal post-operative pain.

Answered 12/28/2012

5.4k views

Dr. Robert Meislin answered

Specializes in sports medicine

Ankle pain: You may want to speak to your surgeon about this issue and depending on the timing of your surgery further work up with a new MRI may be indicated; in the meantime resting your ankle in a cam boot walker may be helpful.

Answered 3/29/2015

5.3k views

Dr. Jan Szatkowski answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

Call your doc: I am assuming you had an ankle scope? I would contact the surgeon's office. Make sure you can move your toes and that you have good blood flow as well. Did they use a pain block?

Answered 10/31/2015

2.1k views

Dr. Ellen Wenzel answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Talk to your surgeon: It is probably important to know what happened intra-operatively (during your surgery) and whether you have followed up per your schedule. Regardless, it warrants a call to your surgeon's office to discuss this matter/concern.

Answered 1/20/2017

1.3k views