Canada

My iron is 69ug/l but i have all the symptoms of anemia. my b 12 is 1018pmol/l. do my levels suggest that of low iron?

Dr. Timothy Goggins
Hematology and Oncology 26 years experience
Need more info: Iron deficiency is not defined solely by a low iron, other levels are improtant. The most important is are you anemic. The MCV (mean corpuscular volume) is helpful as well. The TIBC (total iron binding capacity), ferritin are important as well. The gold standard for iron deficiency would be a bone marrow aspiration and biopsy negative for iron staining. For B12 def, you need an mma. Ask your md.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Dan Fisher
Could be.: But because you are likely a menstruating female it is hard to tell. However, there are better tests for iron deficiency including ferritin. It is relatively simple to take an iron supplement and often times, even in the absence, of anemia people feel better.
Last updated Sep 8, 2017