U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Mechanicsburg, OH
A 21-year-old female asked:

How is a broken bone detected?

3 doctor answers10 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ronald Oberman
Podiatry 32 years experience
See below: X-rays often make diagnosis. In more coplicated cases, MRI or cat scan may be necessary.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry 23 years experience
X-ray, CT or MRI: You will need and x-ray to see if you have a fracture. If fractured, you will need to be immobilized with a splint, cast, or rigid walking boot depending on the location of the injury. You may need surgery if there is vascular compromise or if the fracture is not stable or is displaced. Have you physician determine which course of treatment is best for you.
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 30 years experience
Exam, X-ray: Usually a physical exam and X-ray are first tests in patient with a suspected fracture. If X-ray negative, but suspicion still strong, then further testing such as an MRI, ct scan, or bone scan may be ordered.

Related questions

A 36-year-old member asked:
What is the most painful bone to break?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 21-year-old male asked:
How can we improve the bone recovering?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 49-year-old member asked:
Osreoporosis (thinning of bone) is caused by?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 22-year-old male asked:
Is a fiborous non union almost as strong as bone?
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 38-year-old member asked:
Is it possible to break a bone without it hurting?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated May 31, 2021

People also asked

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.