India

my sgpt is 190.04 .is it serious.what are the causes.does it lead to liver cirosis?

Dr. Dan Fisher
Maybe serious.: Sgpt in itself is not dangerous and does not lead to cirrhosis. It is a marker of liver damage. It goes up with active liver cell damage and goes down when that damage is over. Levels of 190 are fairly non specific and could be due to just about anything. You should speak with the doc who ordered the test. There are several causes of SGPT elevation that could lead to cirrhosis.
Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Alvin Lin answered
Geriatrics 30 years experience
Elevated LFTs: Sgpt, now more commonly referred to as alt (in comparison to sgot/ast) is one of many liver function tests (lfts) that assess liver function. Drugs, fat & infections are the main reasons for an increase in either ast or alt. In order to interpret how serious something is, we need to know reference range in addition to result. In general, we don't worry until alt exceeds 3x upper limit of normal.
Dr. Hazem Eltahawy
Neurosurgery 28 years experience
Yes it's important: It could be a sign of liver cirhosis. You need to check for causes. This includes chronic alcohol ingestion, chronic hepatitis b or c or others, drug induced for example some anti cholesterol meds and others. Best is to consult with a hepatologist or internist. Best wishes.