while recovering after a knee surgery, sleeping off anesthesia, i woke up to a nurse helping me dress, i realized that i had made a bowel movement! help!

4 doctor answers
Dr. Boris Aronzon
23 years experience Anesthesiology
Behind: It already happened. Move on , send a thank you card to recovery room. You were sedated and could not control the situation.
Answered on Jul 3, 2015
Dr. James Henning
49 years experience Anesthesiology
Residual Anesthesia?: If you'd received a spinal or epidural anesthetic any residual anesthesia may have weakened the muscles controlling your bowel function...Temporarily. All anesthetic like this wear off quickly. Don't feel embarrassed! it happens all the time. No worries!
Answered on Dec 21, 2012
Dr. Robert Luedecke
39 years experience Anesthesiology
Sh_t happens: While anesthetized, we are not responsible for what we say or what we do. While it is not common to have a bowel movement during anesthesia, it sometimes happens and it is not your fault. It was not pleasant for you, but the nurse considered it nothing unusual. Sometime these things happen.
Answered on Nov 30, 2014
5
Dr. Richard Pollard
29 years experience Anesthesiology
Don't worry: Sometimes the pain medications after surgery will make you very relaxed and comfortable. In this situation the even you experienced is not us usual. We would never tell anyone about this.
Answered on Jun 11, 2018