i am about to have knee surgery and i am on methidone and they are putting me under on anesthesia and i do not want to tell my doctor is it fatal?

4 doctor answers
Dr. Lynne Weixel
35 years experience Clinical Psychology
Truth is best: I'm thinking that Methadone is a step in the right direction for you. Also, if you care enought to fix the knee, care enough to get good medical treatment. They need to know your Rx history to do their best during and after surgery. Here's a similar query - you may have read it. I agree with the advice to tell the truth. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110106140952AAF8WGg
Answered on Aug 2, 2014
Dr. Grant Boyer
29 years experience Clinical Psychology
Consultation.: You will need to consult with your surgeon and the anesthesiologist. The Methadone can depress the central nervous system and put you at risk. You will also need to talk about pain and pain medication during your recovery, as that will interact with your Methadone dose as well.
Answered on Sep 26, 2016
3
Dr. William Jenkins
Specializes in Anesthesiology
No, it is: not fatal, but knee surgeries can be very painful and it is better to know about Methadone to regulate your narcotic analgesia requirements. If you stay in the hospital you will not receive your Methadone unless you let them know.
Answered on Aug 2, 2014
1
1
Dr. Glenn Messina
34 years experience Aesthetic Medicine
It is very dangerous not to tell you anesthesiologist that you are taking methadone. If you are having general anesthesia or even sedation it is important for them to know exactly what you are taking. The narcotic they may give you could potentially have an additive effect to you methadone leading to a deeper narcotic effect than expected.
Jun 14, 2014
Dr. Anthony Pollizzi
35 years experience Anesthesiology
Not fatal: you should tell them as it may affect your anesthestic requirements
Answered on Nov 19, 2014