I have cut the top of my thumb to the bone and had to have the nail removed and had 2 stitches, where would i get numbness?

5 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Jeffrey Wint answered

Specializes in Hand Surgery

Nerves : Small peripheral nerves distal to the cut, are not repairable. These branches result in a very small area of altered sensation that can change for the better over time. At other times the nerves are intact but "shocked" fracture? Make sure it stays clean and followup but if you mean the whole thumb and the bandage is too tight , which i hope is not the case ..Get it taken off right away.

Answered 3/30/2023

5.4k views

Dr. Gregg Vagner answered

Specializes in Hand Surgery

Nerve injury: After a sharp penetrating injury like a knife, it is not unusual to have cut a nerve. If the injury is on the top (nail side) of the finger, then it is more likely that you injured one of the very small skin sensory nerves that are normally not repaired. If the cut is on the fingerprint side of the finger, it is possible to cut digital nerves that supply sensation to the pulp.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.4k views