Morrisville, North Carolina

I have small white dots on the back of my tongue. is this normal or maybe candida? it doesn't look anything like the oral thrush photos i've seen.

Dr. William Culviner
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 30 years experience
White tongue: It is fairly normal to have a whitish discoloration on the back of the tongue. The tongue sloughs daily and sometimes this can build up. This is especially more common if you are dry or dehydrated for some reason. Often, gently brushing the tongue can help. It's unlikely to be thrush unless you have been on a lot of antibiotics recently, steroids, or are immunosuppressed for some reason.
Dr. James Manning
Dentistry 43 years experience
Doubtful...: While this is possibly early candida, the most likely source are the normal papillae in that area. If they begin to spread and come together that could be candida. Contact your dentist for an evaluation, to alleviate your concerns.

Last updated Apr 6, 2017