I had a ganglion cyst removed on thursday of this week, my hand is swollen, what can i do to treat the swelling.?

Dr. Eric Stansby
Emergency Medicine 27 years experience
RICE: First elevate the extremity. Some post-op swelling is to be expected and should resolved in a week or so. If however your incision is draining, or your hand is red and warm, this may be a post-op infection. You should contact your surgeon so that they can evaluate your hand asap to rule this out.
Dr. Brian Sabb
Sports Medicine 26 years experience
Follow the post op: Instructions... I imagine that you were given some post-operative instructions. I would recommend reviewing the papers that you were given. Some general thoughts: elevate the extremity above your head/heart, consider a cool compress, and limit activity. If you were instructed to wear a splint, do so until your doc says otherwise. Watch for signs of infection: red, warm, inc pain, purulence, .
Dr. Andres Katz
Surgery - Vascular 50 years experience
Elevate and rest: Immobilize the extremity , apply ice and limit motion. See your doctor as soon as possible to rule out infection.
Dr. Mark Wang
Hand Surgery 18 years experience
Elevation: Elevation and gentle digital range of motion are a few simple steps to help decrease swelling (edema). Proper elevation typical consists of placing the hand above the level of the heart (e.g. Left chest) to allow gravity to facilitate the edema control. A tight postoperative dressing may also be carefullly loosened. If you were placed in a splint, you should wear as instructed by your doc.

Last updated Oct 24, 2017