Lebanon, Missouri

I have to jave a ultrasound of my carotid artery. what would be wrong with carotid if it causes swelling of left sife of neck amd face?

Dr. Eleanor Host
31 years experience
More of a vein prob: The artery takes blood from the heart to the brain, the veins drain the blood from the brain back to the heart. If there is something blocking the return flow (the vein) then the increased pressure in the vein makes some fluid leak into the surrounding tissues. Also, the lymph channels drain down and those can get blocked and cause swelling. Many things can cause this, be sure to get all the tests.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. David Rothfeld
Radiology 39 years experience
Does not sound right: The carotid artery unless there is an aneurysm would not cause swelling.
Last updated Jan 22, 2018