Miami, FL

should s1 vertebrae(one right below l5s1 disc in films) be crescent shaped or box shaped?

Dr. Stephen Monaco
Podiatry 42 years experience
Box: Box shaped at all times.

How much soy is too much? What problem can it cause? I usually have 1 glass of soy milk, 1 bag (1 pound) of edamame, & 1 box of tofu. Is it too much?

Dr. Michio Abe
Soy may not be good: For all people. Eating large amounts of soy’s estrogen-mimicking compounds, isoflavones,  might reduce fertility in women, trigger early puberty and disrupt development of fetuses and children. I can't give you any specific amount that would be too much, but I do recommend limiting the amount of soy consumption in children and women trying to get pregnant.
PA

I put my bc bill in a pill box and probably take them out of order. I use zovia 1/35. Is there a reason the active pills should be taken in order?

Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
For that pill, no: The pill you mention is what's called monophasic: all the active pills are identical, so the order you take them in doesn't matter. Some brands of pills (ortho tri-cyclen, for example) are tri-phasic; the active pills come on 3 different strengths, 1 for each week of active pills. For those, you do need to keep the pills in their respective weeks.

How can I allay tiredness after I go big box shopping ?

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Rest: Big box shopping is fun for some people, boring for others. It can mean bright lights, loud noises and music playing, the stimulation of all kinds of displays and products, people milling all over, etc. Quiet rest after such excursions should allay the tiredness you feel. If you fear you put too much on your credit card, though, it may not help your relaxation! :-).
Fort Worth, TX

I need more info on a trac the thing on the voice box?

Dr. Michael Ekizian
Tracheostomy: During an episode of acute respiratory failure, a patient is generally ventilated through an endotracheal tube. Switching to a tracheostomy tube is often considered when the need for mechanical ventilation is expected to be prolonged. One immediate benefit of tracheostomy is patient comfort. One complication is obstruction, although this depends somewhat on the clinician performing the procedure.

On the prescription pad, it often says "check here if generic can't be used." do some generics not work as well? Seems to me there's a reason the check box is there; what's the story behind it?

Dr. Joy Jackson
There : There are a few different reasons: 1) the patient simply does not want a generic, prefers the brand. Simple issue of preference. 2) some generics are made with different preservatives than the brand, and a patient may not be able to take a certain generic due to an allergy to the preservative in the generic. 3)physician preference based on experience with the brand vs. Generic 4)type of insurance plan can't think of anything else off the top pf my head. Maybe more physicians will respond to the question with their thoughts/opinions.

Last updated Oct 4, 2016