what vegetables do you suggest that i eat or don't eat that will not affect the coumadin (warfarin) while im taking it?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Joshua Buckler
18 years experience Cardiology
Balance: The antidote for Coumadin (warfarin) is vitamin k which is in a lot of foods, but most heavily in dark green leafy vegetables. My advice to my patients typically is to eat a balanced diet. Do not work hard to avoid or eat extra of these items, just eat a balanced diet with some vegetables every day and then work with your anticoagulation clinic or your physician to titrate your dose to your diet.
Answered on Mar 19, 2018
4
Dr. Norman Chideckel
41 years experience Vascular Surgery
Avoid: Avoid leafy greens e.G brussel sprouts its best to ask your pharmacist for a list.
Answered on Mar 19, 2018
2
Dr. Pamela Pappas
41 years experience Psychiatry
The problem: The problem is not so much what vegetables to avoid, but in being consistent with your intake. Vegetables and their nutrients are very important for your overall health. I agree with my colleagues that large amounts of vit k can interfere with coumadin's anti-thrombotic effect, but your Coumadin (warfarin) dose can be adjusted to your diet. Whole foods are much safer than vit k supplements in this regard.
Answered on Aug 28, 2018
5