what is the definition or description of: arteriovenous malformation repair - brain?

Dr. Jefferson Chen
Neurosurgery 34 years experience
AVM repair-complex: Arteriovenous malformation (avm) of the brain is a complex "tangle" of arteries and veins. Treatment is complex and multispecialty. If the avm is small, one can consider radiosurgery (ie. Gamma knife), that leads to a high obliteration rate 2-3 years after treatment. If it is large, one would start with angiogram-embolization (blocking feeders with glue) followed by neurosurgery. Location is key.
Dr. Bikash Bose
Neurosurgery 45 years experience
Abnormal vasculature: These abnormal vessels have an increased risk of bleeding.They are treated by open surgery when they are excised, by embolizationby going through blood vessels or by a combination of both.Different methods depends on the size and or location in the brain.