United Kingdom

Psychotic break 1year ago now coming off respiridone but experiencing some altered perception. what's my worse case prognosis?

Dr. Pamela Pappas
See psychiatrist: Please see your psychiatrist about the wisdom of coming off an antipsychotic medication when you're experiencing "altered perception." s/he will want to know about that -- and hear more about what you specifically mean -- in order to make the best recommendations for you. It could be that you need to slow or stop the medication taper, if this is happening.
Dr. Walter Anderson
Another break: "coming off" the respiridone with the recurrence of the psychosis is a probably a bad idea. If you continue, you will most likely have another psychotic break. I would encourage you to consult your psychiatrist and continue on some antipsychotic medication with ongoing follow up.
Dr. David Murdock
Psychosis: If the primary illness is schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder, the patient will likely need continuous antipsychotic therapy for life. However, if the primary illness is a psychotic depression, psychosis should not persist as long as the depression is treated. Similar situation with bipolar disorder, except that antipsychotics can have mood stabilizing properties and are used for maintenance.