whats the difference between lipomastia and gynecomastia? are the treatments different?

Dr. Andre Berger
Cosmetic Surgery 40 years experience
Different Causes: Lipomastia, a.K.A “manboobs, ” is an excess of fat in a man’s chest, related to weight and fat deposits, and can be reduced with diet and exercise. Gynecomastia is actual breast tissue in the male chest usually related to genetics or a hormonal imbalance, and may require tissue removal to prevent breast tissue from growing back. In either case, liposuction can reduce the size and appearance.
Dr. Constanza Iriarte
Specializes in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
Lipomastia is fattty: Gynecomastia is breast tissue, hormone dependent.
Dr. Richard Zienowicz
Plastic Surgery 38 years experience
Fat: Lipomastia is a breast enlarged by fat. True gyecomastia is breast tissue enlargement.
Dr. Larry Nichter
Cosmetic Surgery 36 years experience
Gynecomastia Defined: Enlargement of breast tissue in a male is called gynecomastia. If if is made up of mostly fat (say in an older of obest person it can be referred to as lipomastia.Typically liposuction is used to correct gynecomastia. If there is also a lot of loose skin often this is also removed. Occasionally if their is firm redundant breast tissue it is surgically removed. See a board certified plastic surgeon.
Dr. Tom Pousti
Specializes in Plastic Surgery
Type of Tissue: Gynecomastia comes from the greek meaning "gyne" meaning woman and  "mastos"  meaning breasts.  it refers to abnormal development of large mammary glands in males. Although there may be many “causes”, most cases are idiopathic (no specific cause). Lipomastia refers to adipose tissue causing the breast enlargement. Differentiation of these conditions important because treatment may differ.
Dr. Barry Cohen
Plastic Surgery 34 years experience
Essentially: Fatty breast enlargement versus gynecomastia glandular enlargement. First more amenable to liposuction alone if not too much skin excess.