U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 30-year-old member asked:

I'm 19 and have type 1 gynecomastia. what would be the best treatment?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Mark Burke
Surgery - Plastics 21 years experience
Lipo vs. resect: Gynocomastia can be secondary to certain drugs (ie marijuana and many prescription meds) and also can be secondary to hormonal problems that may signal a bigger issue. You need a testicular exam, review of your medications, and several blood tests that are not part of routine bloodwork. With type 1 liposuction best first choice, understand the skin will retract some and may need later resection.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Tom Pousti
Specializes in Plastic Surgery
Seek Consultation: Gynecomastia, if persistent, is often best treated with partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area. If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue, then liposculpture surgery alone may suffice. For patients with excess skin, common after weight loss, skin excision may also be necessary.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Dec 22, 2013
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.