what is the definition or description of: baby teeth?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Baby Teeth: Baby teeth, technically referred to as primary teeth are the first set of 20 teeth (10 on top and 10 on the bottom) that erupt in a child's mouth and are replaced by permanent teeth, normally from the age of about 6 years to 13 years of age.
Dr. Marielaina Perrone
Cosmetic Dentistry 26 years experience
Baby Teeth Are...: The first teeth which are shed and replaced by permanent teeth. The first primary tooth comes in at about 6 months of age and the 20th and last primary tooth erupts at around 2 1/2 years of age. The primary teeth are replaced beginning usually at about age 6. Also called baby teeth, milk teeth, temporary teeth or deciduous teeth.
Dr. John Comisi
Dentistry 38 years experience
Primary Teeth: Baby teeth (primary teeth) are the first set of teeth a child develops. They should be considered "space holders" in a childs mouth for the adult ("permanent") teeth. They are vitally important for the child to be able to eat, talk, and jaw development. Help your child care for them well.
Dr. James Wright
Dentistry 33 years experience
First set of teeth: This is child's first set of teeth.
Dr. Robert Brodsky
Dentistry 58 years experience
First teeth: There are usually 20 baby teeth. These are the first teeth we humans grow. They are all replaced by permanent teeth. That is why they are also called deciduous teeth, like trees that lose their leaves in the fall and grow new leaves in the spring are called deciduous trees.
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Deciduous teeth: These are the twenty teeth that children have that are eventually replaced by permanent teeth later.
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 41 years experience
First teeth: A child's first set of teeth. They will be total 20 if they all come in. They will be replaced by the adult or permanent teeth AND 8 - 12 additional teeth may appear, if all four wisdom teeth come in. Also called deciduous teeth.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
Primary teeth: also called baby teeth, milk teeth, temporary teeth, deciduous teeth or children's teeth. Eventually, the 20 primary teeth are replaced by 32 permanent teeth. Hope it helps.