is it safe to take vitamin b9 while pregnant or breastfeeding?

Dr. Eugene Louie-Ng
Yes: This is just another name for folic acid, which is a recommended supplement in pregnancy to prevent neural tube defects.
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine 40 years experience
Important to take!: Not only is vitamin B9 (more commonly known as folic acid) safe to take but is considered the most important vitamin to take during pregnancy to prevent neural tube defects. It is especially important to take in the first weeks of pregnancy. Many people can't convert Folic Acid to the active form, 5-mthf, so to be very safe it may be wise to take the 5-mthf form.