A 47-year-old member asked:

What hormones control a man's emotions?

3 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Robert Stuart
A Verified Doctoranswered
47 years experience
Serotonin: We think serotonin is the primary mood hormone in the brain. Mood disorders are frequently related to some imbalance between serotonin and dopamine. Low testosterone can also have an effect but it is usually experienced as fatigue and lack of motivation.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Marcello Maviglia
undefined 42 years experience
complex question. My best answer is that I do not know for sure, as it depends on more than one neurotransmitter, peptide, and hormone.
Dec 8, 2014
Dr. Richard Zimon
Internal Medicine 61 years experience
I would add Testosterone the major "male" has been connected with aggression and sexual behavior.
Dec 29, 2018
Dr. Frank Kuitems
Internal Medicine 38 years experience
Trestosterone: Testosterone and estrogen can affect emotions and possibly cortisol
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Pathology 51 years experience
More than those : There are multiple hormones, in addition to the ones listed already, namely, testosterone, serotonin, dopamine, and cortisol, you may add adrenaline, nor-adrenaline, melatonin, insulin, glucagon, VIP, ghrelin and in all likelihood a whole lot more.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 37-year-old female asked:
My hormone is high..Whats is the cause and how to control it?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 35-year-old member asked:
What are the causes of fluctuating hormones in a 40 year old man?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 46-year-old member asked:
What happens when a woman transitions into a man? How are his hormone levels affected?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated Jan 6, 2019
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$44 video appointments with $19/month membership*
*Billed $57 every 3 months. Cancel anytime.


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.