A 46-year-old member asked:

What happens when a woman transitions into a man? how are his hormone levels affected?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Michael Kleerekoper
A Verified Doctoranswered
Endocrinology 53 years experience
Gender change: Please start with a visit to a Psychologist. I do not make changes to hormones till I get the OK from the Psychologist. After that testosterone therapy is OK but needs careful monitoring by your doctor over the first few weeks/months. There are many testosterone options and all are good and the costs vary. Have your doctor discuss all the options and costs.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 10, 2015
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$44 video appointments with $19/month membership*
*Billed $57 every 3 months. Cancel anytime.


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.