how does food affect your voice?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Mike Bowman
18 years experience ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
2 ways: Foods which are acidic or spicy can directly damage the voice box, and contribute to hoarseness. Other foods, like high fat foods, caffeine, and others, can contribute to reflux. Acid reflux is a very common cause of vocal cord problems.
Answered on Jun 29, 2016
1
Dr. Robert Stachler
30 years experience ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
Food and voice: Spicy food can cause reflux which could then cause the voice to sound hoarse. My singers who have reflux are unable to reach their high notes and have a lower range allergic reactions to foods can cause acute airway obstruction and death. Nut allergy is an example of this. Less intense reactions to foods and allergies can cause post nasal drip which can affect the voice. I hope this helps.
Answered on Sep 14, 2013