my ear itches so much. is this normal? is it okay to scratch it?

Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 27 years experience
Dry skin: This could be related to eczema of the outer ear. Dry itchy skin of the ear canal is pretty common. There is a prescription ear drop called dermotic ear drops that can be pretty effective. Do not scrtach the ear canal. The skin is a natural barrier to infection. Scratching can lead to an outer ear infection.
Dr. William Lewis
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 51 years experience
Find out cause: You may have allergic eczema or other issue, and need to see your otolaryngologist for an exam and appropriate treatment.