How often should you have colonoscopy? i have a lot of lower abdominal pain.

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Colon and Rectal Surgery 43 years experience
Depends: If you are over 50 and have no prior hx or family history of colon polyps or cancer or inflammatory bowel disease, the current recommendations are once every 10 years. If any of the above are positive it should be more often, at least every 5 years and maybe more often depending on your specific risk factors. Abdominal pain, in of itself, is not an indication for colonoscopy in my opinion.
Dr. Camil Sader
General Surgery 24 years experience
Colonoscopy: An initial colonoscopy is typically warranted in a healthy 50 year old. However, a patient with a family history and/or symptoms as yourself will need a thorough workup which very well may include a colonoscopy. Please go see your endoscopist asap.