should i take prenatal vitamins if i'm breastfeeding?

Dr. Sharon Gilliland
Yes: Absolutely. Many women are vitamin d deficient which will contribute to vitamin d deficiency in the baby (rickets). The baby should also receive a vitamin d supplement.
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Yes: It's a great idea to continue your prenatal vitamins while breastfeeding. It is important to maximize your good nutrition (and replenish what you will be losing into your breastmilk) . Be sure to eat a balanced diet and get lots of calcium as well. If you are not fond of dairy, you may need a calcium & vitamin d supplement. Also, consider ara/dha supplements depending on your diet as well.
Understand process: The breast is a superior organ when it comes to baby nutrition.It will use various factors to extract fats/carbs/proteins and other nutrients from you and give them to baby.Without taking supplemental vitamins and calcium, your body will lose the amount given specifically to baby to grow body/bones/brain/etc. The vitamins are for your health, otherwise baby will leach it out and you loose.
Dr. Michael Sparacino
Daily: You can start taking vitamins immediately and continue on a daily basis.