i am breastfeeding my 2 month old and feel a cold coming on. is it ok to take airborne to help fight it? i am still taking my prenatal vitamins, too.

3 doctor answers
Dr. Thomas Riney
37 years experience Pediatrics
Save your money: This product will not prevent a cold, it may help with symptoms a little, but your prenatal vitamins are sufficient.
Answered on Jan 27, 2017
3
Dr. Kristen Stuppy
25 years experience Pediatrics
Keep breastfeeding!: I first want to remind you to continue to breastfeed. Many mothers worry that the infection will spread through the milk, but the opposite is true. The milk carries immune benefits to baby to help baby fight the cold. You can safely use a nasal wash system to rinse the mucus out of your nose. The salt in the saline helps open nasal passageways and is drug free! wash hands frequently.
Answered on Oct 23, 2017
1
3
Dr. Kristen Stuppy
25 years experience Pediatrics
Provided original answer
As for the airborne, it hasn't been proven to be of any benefit. To me it falls into the category "probably won't hurt" but that hasn't been tested.
Apr 21, 2012
Dr. Prakash Bhoopalam
43 years experience Pediatrics
MAY BE YES!: There is no real treatment for cold and any medicine you take may give you some relief from symptoms. It is generally ok to continue breastfeed but check the medicine box to see if it has any special warning.
Answered on Apr 1, 2016
2