is vomiting a prominent symptom of nec?

Dr. Evelyn Hurvitz
Yes: Vomiting, or regurgitation feeds is one of the hallmarks of developing nec.
Dr. Frazier Frantz
Pediatric Surgery 33 years experience
Yes, but: While vomiting is seen with nec, there are so many other causes of vomiting in babies, that it is difficult to use this alone as an indicator. More ominous signs of nec include blood stools, abdominal distension, lethargy, and, occasionally, temperature instability.
Dr. Troy Reyna
Pediatric Surgery 44 years experience
Yes.: Nec or necrotizing enterocolitis is an infection of the intestine in infants especially premature infants. It can cause damage and even perforation which would result in stasis, increasing gastric residuals, and bloody stools.