Can a polypoid on the vocal cords diminish in size with proper voice rest and speech therapy? I would prefer to avoid surgery, if i know that my singing voice can improve with proper voice rest and speech therapy. I am a professional singer.

Dr. Richard Arden
36 years experience in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
It : It is certainly possible, and the prefered management strategy, in the professional singer. Surgery always runs some risk of creating scar tissue on the vocal fold and affecting oscillation of the mucosal wave. Proper vocal hygiene that includes rest, vocal retraining, adequate hydration, and control of factors that can incite laryngeal irritation ( i.e., acid reflux, post-nasal drainage, second hand smoke, chemical irritants, etc.) is a good starting point. Having clean high efficiency filters on your furnace with good humidity control is also helpful. Larger polyps, or those that don't regress, can be treated with minimally invasive endolaryngeal surgery using microflap techniques and conservative co2 laser application.
Answered on Mar 14, 2019
1