should i go through with this surgery? i have been diagnosed with sleep apnea within the last year. the machine started a 4 and since then adjusted to 6. this machine does not help at all. in the meantime, my nose is stuffed but nothing comes out. i was w

Hello. : Hello. I am tracking with the need for cartilage to work on a turbinate. It sounds like much of this is akin to a uvulopalatopharyngoplasty for obstructive sleep apnea. It is done to make a larger airway. Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (uppp) can include removal of the uvula, part of the roof of the mouth (soft palate) the tonsils, the adenoids and excess tissue in the throat. My guess is you a big beefy tongue? A number of my patients have undergone a uppp for sleep apnea with good results (it entails a fair amount).
Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funari answered
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Other : Other than shaving the tongue, most of what you describe in layman terms matches surgeries typically offered to osa patients who either fail CPAP or cannot tolerate the treatment. Surgery involving the tongue for osa patients usually involkves some type of muscle advancement to pull the tongue forward to increase the airway space behind it.
Dr. See Yang
Dr. See Yang answered
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 26 years experience
From : From what you mention, it seems he is advising you to have nasal surgery with nasal valve reconstruction , uvulopalatopharyngoplasty with tonsillectomy, and some type of a tongue procedure that is not clear from your description. There are many different ways to treat the tongue. Although, it is difficult to comment on the appropriateness of the procedures you have mentioned without knowing your exam findings but that combination of surgery is not uncommon for surgical treatment of sleep apnea patients who have failed medical therapy so it may be very reasonable/appropriate. Your confusion makes one thing clear, you would benefit from meeting with your doctor again prior to surgery. I would highly advise you to make a list of questions and make an appointment with your surgeon to discuss goals, risks, potential benefits of your surgeon's recommendations to make sure you understand and are comfortable with the recommended procedures. These procedures are painful and have risks so it's important that you and the doctor see eye to eye prior to surgery.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016