How to use dental floss? i find it hard to use because it slips out between my teeth, or doesn't fit between others. my teeth are not in great shape. is there something else i can use?

5 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Whitney Berens answered

Specializes in Dentistry

There : There are lots of different types of floss. Try different brands, types and flavors until you find one you like. Typically if your teeth are very tight then one that glides or are shred resistant would work best. If you have wider spaces you can use braided or woven floss. I recommend ones with Fluoride in them to patients that are more cavities prone. The ones with holders are okay too but more expensive and patients sometimes hurt their tender gums on the plastic edges. The important part is getting in between the teeth where your toothbrush does not fit but plenty of bacteria can.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Harry Aronowitz answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

Don't : Don't give up on floss so fast. You can get floss that is not so slippery. Your dentist can shape the tight spaces so the floss can fit more easily.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Lance Timmerman answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

There : There really is no substitute for floss, so i suggest the packages of floss holders. They come in bags of 50 to 100 with pre cut sections already fixed to a handle. This allows single handed use and the ability to get in very tight spots. In addition to that, use of a waterpik and similar items, as well as a good mouth rinse, can really help.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.5k views