had gallbladder removed thursday, haven't had a bowel movement since. light headed, vomiting, bloated, and nausea. should i go to the er or just wait it out?

2 doctor answers
24 years experience Psychiatry
I : I recommend going to the er. Concern is that if you haven't had a bowel movement, you could have an ileus (your bowel is sort of asleep).If that is the case, the food and fluids you ingest are not being moved down the GI tract and thus you become bloated and vomit it up. Take care.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
38 years experience General Surgery
I : I am guessing that your surgery was about 2 days ago. It is not uncommon to have constipation and abdominal bloating after laparoscopic surgery. The bloating sometimes can last for several days. Constipation is also common after surgery, and is made worse with narcotic pain medications. Nausea and vomiting may occur from the use of narcotic pain medication. But if you were having increasing abdominal pain or fevers, that would be concerning. It would be best to call and contact your surgeon now to see if there were any additional concerns with your specific surgery, and ask the surgeon what you should do.
Answered on Oct 4, 2016