U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A member asked:

I have two disk swollen smashing my sciatic nerve do i need to see surgen my right leg hurts real bad can't hardly walk need help please pain is getting unbearble

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Carl Spivak
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 29 years experience
Yes : Yes i would recommend seeing a spine interventional pain doctor and/or spine surgeon. Sometimes sciatica leg pain will respond to steroid injections but if it does not then i would discuss surgery. Please see my health guide on lumbar disk herniations and sciatica. Good luck!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Steven Giannotta
Neurosurgery 50 years experience
While : While surgery can be very effective in reieving the pain of a ruptured lumbar disc, there are other treatments that may be helpful. Your doctor may try bed rest, physical therapy, muscle relaxants and mild pain relievers first. If that doesn't work, referral to a spine surgeon would be the next logical step.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 4, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.