My daughter had a premature birth w/ her first child due to high bp +vprotein in her urine. will her 2nd pregnant be more high risk? my daughter has just discovered she is pregnant for the second time. her first pregnancy 5 years ago ended up with a 3 wee

A doctor has provided 1 answer
Dr. Mabel Obeng answered

Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology

Yes : Yes her 2nd pregnancy will be considered high risk as it sound like she had pre-eclampsia or what some will call toxiemia. Her doctor will monitor her closely for signs of elevated BP and proteinuria and also make sure that if she has gestational diabetes, that she is treated and monitored for it. About 3 percent of women have pre-eclampsia and 7 percent have gestional diabetes with pregnancy so it is common enough that most ob/gyn doctors are comfortable managing patients with who end up having high blood pressure or diabetes in pregnancy. Best wishes.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views