A male asked:

Does smoking cause the gums to recede or is it chewing tobacco? i was gueing that chewing cause the gums to deteriorate but some say its smoking. can i have some opinions?

Dr. Vidhya Sampath
Dentistry 22 years experience
Tobacco, : Tobacco, in any form, is harmful to your oral and general health. Not only is tobacco one of the major risk factors in the development and progression of gum disease by recession and bone loss and hence tooth loss, it is also associated with oral cancer. Consider quitting stat!
Dr. Jonathan Scharf
Cosmetic Dentistry 49 years experience
I : I can assure you that both smoking and chewing are extremely dangerous habits that affect the tissues in the mouth. Chewing has a direct effect on the soft tissues that it comes in contact with and has a link to oral cancer, but both habits cause serious changes in the health of the gums. Seek help to quit either.
Dr. Peiman Soleymani
Specializes in Periodontics
There : There is a direct link with gum disease and nicotine use whether one smokes or chews the tobacco. However, chewing tobacco also adds an extra mechanical way that could adversely affect the gum by causing recession. This is usually more evident where you keep the tobacco in your mouth. I suggest having a dentist or periodontist screen you for oral cancer and gum disease and get some assistance from a professional to quit.
Dr. David Scharf
Periodontics 35 years experience
Both : Both smoking and chewing tobacco can contribute to periodontal disease. This has been firmly established in the periodontal literature. I have seen many patients with <a href="http://www.Drscharf.Com/periodontal-disease-long-island-ny/choose-dr-scharf-periodontist.Html/">periodontal disease on long island </a> which has been caused, or at least greatly accelerated by smoking or snuff use. Here is a short video on the progression of <a href="http://www.Longislandlaserperio.Com/2012/04/what-is-periodontal-disease/"> periodontal disease long island </a>. Good luck. Dr. David scharf.