U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 23-year-old member asked:

Could exercise cause a sore and red groin area, or 'jock rot', and how is it treated?

2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. George Valdez
Specializes in Family Medicine
Yes: You can start out by using over the counter desitin (zinc oxide diaper cream) cream (used for diaper rash on babies), this often calms it down until you get in to the doctor, and is also useful if it is just starting or very mild.
Dr. Vadim Glukh
Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery 24 years experience
Jock itch: This could be helped by the use of the antifungal spray or powder, but one should be aware of any sensitivities to the clothing fabric, detergents, etc.
Last updated Sep 9, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.