swelling after thyroid surgery 3 days ago, the left lobe (a 4 cm nodule was on it) and the isthmus ? was removed. the whole area (including right under my chin) is huge. is this normal?

Dr. Michael Wolfe
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 23 years experience
This : This is excessive swelling and should be seen asap. Typically an expanding hematoma (collection of blood in the wound bed where the thyroid lobe was removed) also causes excessive pain. If that is happening, see your surgeon right away.
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Pediatric Endocrinology 21 years experience
Talk : Talk with your surgeon regarding this issue asap. Its very common to have minor swelling in the area where the surgery took place but it sounds like you may have a fairly large area of swelling that goes beyond what is expected (cellulitis, hematoma, etc). Give them a call and good luck. Cayce t. Jehaimi, M.D., faap pediatric endocrinology & diabetes the children's hospital of southwest florida fort myers, fl.