A male asked:

My blood sugar has been over 270 for a week now and im not a dieabetic that i know of should i go to the emerg.room to see why my doctor can't see me until tomorrow and i feel bad and have swollen feet, ringing in ears

Dr. Howard Fox
Podiatry 42 years experience
This : This is a tough call to make without knowing anything else or having the ability to examine you, take your vital signs, and see if you're spilling protein in your urine. First, let me be the first one to tell you, you are diabetic. If you're not having difficulty breathing or chest pain, it's probably ok to wait to see your doctor tomorrow. I assume that he/she knows your glucose is 270 and your legs are swollen, right? You can't really go wrong by going to the er. Officially, it's the safest advice i can give you here. If you chose not to and wait until tomorrow, stay hydrated. Dehydration comes with high blood sugars, so drink lots of water, and needless to say, no sugar, and no carbs, including bread, wheat, pasta (which will convert to sugar). Water & proteins, and if you're up to it, walk around the block. Exercise lowers blood sugar. When is doubt, go to the er.
Dr. Jeremy Gitomer
Nephrology and Dialysis 29 years experience
Ok to wait : Ok to wait if you have no fevers, shortness of breath or chest pain. Go to er if you have any of these. Drink plenty of fluids since you likely will make more urine than usual because some sugar will be lost in the urine pulling water with it so you are at risk for dehydration. The swelling in the legs is concerning for having either heart disease or kidney disease. See doc in am please.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016